Mandaluyong ( mən-dah-LOO-yong; Tagalog pronunciation: [mɐndɐˈlujoŋ]), officially the City of Mandaluyong (Filipino: Lungsod ng Mandaluyong, [luŋˈsod nɐŋ mɐndɐˈlujoŋ]), is a first class highly urbanized city in the National Capital Region of the Philippines. According to the 2020 census, it has a population of 425,758 people.Located directly east of Manila, Mandaluyong was originally a barrio of Santa Ana de Sapa (now a district of Manila) called San Felipe Neri. It separated and became its own town in 1841, and later acquired the name Mandaluyong in 1931 during the American occupation. In 1994, it became the first municipality of Metro Manila to become a city since the metropolis' establishment in 1975.
At present, it is known for the Ortigas Center, a commercial and business center that it also shares with the city of Pasig. Notable institutions and establishments in the city include the Asian Development Bank, the headquarters of Banco de Oro and San Miguel Corporation and shopping malls like Shangri-La Plaza and SM Megamall.
The city is bordered by Manila to the west, San Juan to the north, Quezon City to the northeast, Pasig to the east, Taguig to the southeast, and Makati to the south. It is also the 6th-smallest city in the Philippines with a land area of 21.26 km2 (8.21 sq mi), similar to Makati and Marikina.
}}
}} }}
Buses or jeepneys can get you into Mandaluyong, with buses mostly plying the main thoroughfare of EDSA.
For the tourist however, the easiest way to get to Mandaluyong would be via taxi, the MRT and the EDSA Carousel that run across it.
Mandaluyong is connected to Makati through three bridges (Guadalupe, Estrella–Pantaleon, and Makati-Mandaluyong). From Manila, it is either by Lambingan Bridge or Sevilla Bridge.
Mandaluyong's CBDs, all along EDSA, are served by the MRT and the EDSA Carousel; elsewhere, you go with jeepneys, taxis and tricycles.
The city used to be the historical center of the ancient Namayan kingdom, which used to cover much of some of the districts of Manila, and eastern and southern Metro Manila. When the Spaniards arrived, the remnants of the kingdom have been re-established as the municipality of Santa Ana, which survived as the easternmost district of Manila. Namayan, in turn, survived as the name of one of the city's barangays
Mandaluyong is established in 1843 as the town of San Felipe Neri, named after the patron of Rome. Its first church and parochial school was built in 1863. The city played a strategic role for the revolutionary Katipunan during the Philippine Revolution.
Civil government is established during the early 1900s. San Felipe Neri is merged into the nearby town of San Juan del Monte (present-day San Juan City), and has served as the provincial capital of Rizal for four months in 1904, until it was transferred to Pasig. In 1907, the American colonial administrators restored the municipality, now renamed as Mandaluyong. Many of the city's government buildings and infrastructure, most notably the Welfareville complex, which included the Correctional Institute for Women, Boy's Town, and the National Center for Mental Health (NCHP), are built during the American era.
World War II in the Pacific was devastating in Mandaluyong; it is heavily damaged and many of its people killed. Liberation forces arrived in February 9, 1945, and saved the rest of the municipality from damage. February 9 has since been turned into a local public holiday, Liberation Day
Postwar years is marked by progress and prosperity. Rebuilding was done quickly, and Mandaluyong have undergone an economic boom during the 1950s and 1960, and became the most developed municipality of Rizal. The municipality became part of Metro Manila in 1975, and became a city in 1994.